Pool and Spa FAQs
Do I need a building permit for my swimming pool or spa?
Swimming pools and spas (both in-ground and above-ground) greater than 300mm in depth, require a building permit:
- Before construction starts
- To install or alter a swimming pool or spa safety barrier including all windows, doors and gates that provide access to the pool area
Common questions we can assist you with:
- Does my swimming pool /spa barrier comply with regulations?
- Can we use the existing timber paling fence as a pool barrier?
- What obligation does your neighbour have to your swimming pool barrier?
- The pool/spa is no longer used- what are my obligations?
- What financial penalties apply under the building regulations for non-compliant barriers?
- Can Owner Builders install pools?
We carry out onsite inspections of swimming pool and spa barriers to ensure that a swimming pool enclosure comply with current standards and the BCA (Building Code of Australia).
We provide solutions to areas of non-compliance.
All swimming pool owners should understand their public liability.